Crew leaders will be responsible for carrying out day-to-day Construction activities. This will consist of daily tasks at DAHFH offices, warehouses, and in the field. In the field, Crew Leaders will be assigned a task list for active construction projects and a group of volunteers from the community to lead in completing the assigned tasks. They will help to provide an enjoyable and productive experience for each volunteer.
Crew Leaders will also help organize material and ensure that each active project is properly equipped and prepared. This will include loading material in the morning, setting up for build days, organizing the different tasks, and breaking down work areas at the day’s end.
To be effective Crew Leaders are expected to regularly review the DAHFH Construction Manual and participate in all trainings. After being trained, Crew Leaders will be able to teach volunteers the basic construction skills needed to complete a task and be expected to demonstrate and teach safe construction practices in accordance with the DAHFH safety policy.
- Assist with the day-to-day construction operations of each build site assigned.
- Ensure all construction activities follow standards set out by the Construction Supervisor and Senior Crew Leader.
- Teach and assist volunteers with general carpentry tasks.
- Help provide an enjoyable and productive experience for all volunteers.
- Read DAHFH Construction manual and practice described construction practices.
- Ensure all activities meet DAHFH safety practices.
- Ensure that all building materials are being used in accordance with DAHFH Construction practices.
- Complete assigned construction tasks efficiently and timely.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 1 – 2 years prior construction experience a plus.
- Able to direct and lead teams.
- Able to meet and interact with strangers and make them feel comfortable.
- Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Able to learn building codes, regulations and Manufacturer’s specifications.
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret general construction documents.
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, volunteers, partner families and the general public.
- Excellent follow through in meeting deadlines.
- Able to effectively prioritize and problem-solve under time constraints.
- Able to inspire teamwork.
- A clean driving record and ability to be insured.
- Reliable method of transportation to and from various job sites.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Able to work a flexible schedule.
- Must work Saturdays.
- Knowledge and acceptance of the mission of Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity.