Good volunteers and staff focus on the mission and the needs of Dallas Habitat families while creating an environment that fosters growth and regeneration of human and material resources. Some volunteer opportunities may require that you complete a volunteer release form. For a hard copy of the content below please download the Code of Conduct and Release Agreement.
Code of Conduct
A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
In all that we do as a Christian ministry, Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity will:
• Adhere to highest moral and ethical principles,
• Steward responsibility, seeking wisdom,
• Demonstrate faith in action,
• Model innovation, excellence and sustainability, and
• Inspire and empower
• Treating each person with respect, including fellow volunteers, partner family members, and staff.
• Following proper safety procedures as directed by staff or house leaders.
• Maintaining a reasonable voice level when disagreements arise.
• Following the directions given by the staff supervisor, house leader, or crew chief, whether or not the method is what the volunteer would follow on his/her own project.
• Using language suitable for a Christian-based ministry, i.e. no foul language.
• Taking breaks as needed to ensure a safe and pleasant volunteer experience for everyone.
• Willing to work with others of different backgrounds.
• Communicating with staff and fellow volunteers, as appropriate, when arrival to or departure from volunteer event will be at times different than stated work hours.
• Falsifying documents.
• Performing tasks under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs or prescription drugs without proper consideration for dangers relating to self or other volunteers.
• Negligence to care for or harmful conduct regarding tools and equipment belonging to DAHfH or other volunteers.
• Violation of health or safety rules, either once or repeatedly.
• Disrespect to or failure to perform reasonable tasks as requested by supervisors, house leaders or direct superiors.
• Possession of unauthorized weapons or other dangerous materials on the work site.
• Harassment based on sex, race or ethnicity.
• Acts that detract from DAHfH mission or goals.
• Refusing to follow the requests/orders of the chain of command, or arguing with same is grounds for immediate dismissal from the job site and/or suspension, while repeated violations are grounds for permanent dismissal.
• Cell phone use, texting or twittering, or use of ear buds is not permitted when on the build site for safety reasons. Please take calls on the sidewalk or street.
• NO smoking on build site (includes container and van.) Smoking on the sidewalks or streets is acceptable.
• NO alcoholic beverages on site anywhere.
I am aware that construction is a HAZARDOUS ACTIVITY. I am voluntarily participating in the activities of construction, which include but are not limited to, the construction of residential buildings, loading and unloading materials, painting, finishing, framing, transporting to and from building sites and other related activities with the knowledge of the danger involved and with the knowledge that medical facilities may not be available in the event of illness or injury to myself. I hereby agree to accept any and all risk of injury, illness, or death and verify this statement by placing my signature below.
As consideration for being permitted by DAHfH, and where applicable, by the City of Dallas, to participate in the activities and use DAHfH’s their tools and facilities, I hereby agree and covenant that I, my assignees, heirs, distributes, guardians, and legal representatives will never to file, make any claim, lawsuit, or other proceeding (whether judicial or administrative) against, sue, or touch the property of DAHfH, the City of Dallas and their directors, officers, agents, employees, volunteers, suppliers, contractors, or subcontractors for injury, illness, or damage resulting from my participation in this DAHfH activity. I HEREBY FOREVER RELEASE AND DISCHARGE DAHfH AND THE CITY OF DALLAS. FROM ALL KNOWN AND UNKNOWN ACTIONS, CLAIMS, EXPENSES, OR DEMANDS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND OTHER LITIGATION-RELATED EXPENSES, NEGLIGENCE CLAIMS AND WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIMS PURSUANT TO TEX. CIV. PRAC. & REM. CODE § 71.021) THAT I, OR MY REPRESENTATIVES, NOW HAVE, OR MAY HEREAFTER HAVE, FOR INJURY, DEATH, OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM OR RELATED IN ANY WAY TO MY PARTICIPATION IN DAHfH ACTIVITIES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ACTIONS, CLAIMS, OR DEMANDS RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF DAHfH, THE CITY OF DALLAS OR THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, SUPPLIERS OR CONTRACTORS, IN BOTH THEIR PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CAPACITIES). THIS RELEASE IS INTENDED BY ALL PARTIES TO BE BROAD IN ITS EFFECT.
I hereby consent to release for possible publication my name and/or photo(s) and /or video images taken by any authorized DAHfH employee or volunteer, or any media representative for news and/or publicity purposes. This may include television, newspaper, magazine article, social media sites (MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and/or DAHfH publications (newsletters, flyers, brochures, World Wide Web Page, etc.). I also agree to allow the publication or broadcast of my name in connection with any photo(s) and/or video images taken, and I understand that I will not receive remuneration for my voluntary participation or future use of any photo(s) and/or images of me. I understand that photos and /or videos for the media and /or World Wide Web may be used in publications and/or Web sites outside of DAHfH control.
I further understand the City of Dallas is in no way responsible for my actions or the actions of the agents or employees of DAHfH. I understand that the City of Dallas have no duties or obligations to provide or implement any safety policy or safety training to the volunteers, including myself, for participation in construction site projects for DAHfH. I acknowledge that the City of Dallas makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the nature and hazards or absence thereof of participating in these construction activities. I further recognize and agree that while engaging in these activities I will NOT be an agent, servant, or employee of the City of Dallas and will NOT be covered by the City of Dallas for any workers’ compensation, death, disability or other benefits typically available to City of Dallas employees.
I have carefully read this release from Liability and Assumption of Risk Agreement and I fully understand its contents. I am aware that this is a release of liability and a legal contract between me and DAHfH and and that it affects my legal rights. This agreement contains the entire understanding of the parties and there are no oral agreements that apply to or are binding concerning my participation. I am signing this document of my own free will.